No alarm, only 1 exit in Brazil nightclub fire
Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read? Thank You Yes --- 257 Email Story Print By JULIANA BARBASSA, AP
3 hours ago
A youth holds a photograph of his sister Pamella Lopes, who died in a nightc...
SANTA MARIA, Brazil — The nightclub Kiss was hot, steamy from the press of beer-fueled bodies dancing close. The Brazilian country band on stage was whipping the young crowd into a frenzy, launching into another fast-paced, accordion-driven tune and lighting flares that spewed silver sparks into the air.
It was another Saturday night in Santa Maria, a university town of about 260,000 on Brazil's southernmost tip.
Then, in the pre-dawn hours of Sunday, it turned into a scene of indescribable horror as sparks lit a fire in the soundproofing material above the stage, churning out black, toxic smoke as flames raced through the former beer warehouse, killing 231 people.
What a very sad and tragic story, another nightclub fire with only one exit. And set a blaze by sparks omitted by fireworks again. And with no fire alarm, I hope they throw the book at these Nightclub Owners. Maria-Lyn